1) It’s Cross Platform
SmartSVN runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, so you can continue to work with your operating system of choice. SmartSVN also offers comprehensive support for all of these operating systems – it integrates with Windows Explorer, and can be started as a background process on Windows and Linux.
For Apple users, SmartSVN leverages the dock icon to automatically notify users of new transactions, and provides a Finder integration (Mac OS X 10.5).
2) Everything you need, out of the box!
SmartSVN comes complete with all the tools you need to manage your Subversion repositories:
- Conflict Solver
Conflicts can be tricky for Apache Subversion users, but SmartSVN comes with a dedicated ‘Conflict Solver’ that takes the pain out of resolving them. SmartSVN’s built-in Conflict Solver combines the freedom of a general, three-way-merge with the ability to detect and resolve any conflicts that occur during the development lifecycle.
To access this conflict solver, open the ‘Query’ menu and select ‘Conflict solver.’
In the ‘Mark Resolved’ dialog, you can opt to:
- Leave the file/directory as it is.
- Accept the version in the working copy, as it was before the update or merge was performed.
- Accept the new version – the pristine copy after the update or merge was performed.
- Accept the old version – the pristine copy before the update or merge was performed.
- File Compare
SmartSVN provides file-compare out of the box, combining the ability to compare with inner-line comparisons and the ability to edit the compared files directly.
The ‘File Compare’ option can be easily accessed through the ‘Show Changes’ option in the ‘Query’ menu.
- Built in SSH Client
SmartSVN’s powerful SSH client allows users to access servers using the SSH protocol. This security-conscious protocol encrypts every piece of communication between the client and the server.
3) See the state of your files/directories at a glance
In the project directory you can see at a glance which directories contain local modifications (red arrows) and which directories have been changed in the repository (green arrows.)
Furthermore, you can easily see whether each file has been modified locally and whether it has been modified in the repository:
4) Optimized Interface
SmartSVN’s interface has been designed to give users an optimal view of their project’s state. This includes:
- Placing the most ‘important’ files (such as conflicting, modified or missing files) at the top of the file list.
- See at a glance which directories contain local modifications, which directories have been changed in the repositories, and whether individual files have been modified locally and modified in the repository.
- Displaying all files – even files that don’t exist locally, or currently only exist in the repository. This is beyond the scope of many Apache Subversion clients.
- Customize the displayed file information according to your needs.
5) Excellent Merge Support
SmartSVN’s xMerge add-on can take the pain out of merging moved and renamed files. xMerge analyzes the repository’s history and identifies files in the merge source and the merge target using Subversion’s copy-from information. This ensures that files can be located and correctly identified, even after they have been moved and/or renamed. This functionality also preserves a file’s log history with greater accuracy, even when a file has been moved and renamed before being merged.
Find out more about the xMerge add-on http://www.smartsvn.com/xmerge-addon
Ready to get started with SmartSVN? Download your free, 30 day free trial of SmartSVN Professional http://smartsvn.com/evaluate