Just a quick blog entry – here’s what I did to compile hadoop 0.23.3 from source.
- Install CentOS 6.3 in a VM using vmware player. I used a VM with 100GB disk space and 1GB memory. More memory will probably help
- Download the source bundle, and untar it
- yum groupinstall “Development Tools”
- change uid for the user ‘jagane’ from 500 to 1000
- yum install cmake
- yum install openssl
- yum install openssl-devel
- Download google protobuf sources, ./configure, make, make install.
- install the latest maven
- mvn clean install package -Pdist -Dtar -Pnative -DskipTests=true
Look for the built tar.gz files in hadoop-dist/target.That’s all