The latest release of TortoiseSVN – version 1.7.9 – has just been released. But how do you get started with the popular Apache Subversion client for Windows? In this post, we show you how to install TortoiseSVN and checkout your first working copy.
1) TortoiseSVN 1.7.9 binaries are available from http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download#tortoise Click on the appropriate installer to download.
2) Open the installer, and select ‘Run’ when prompted.
3) You will be taken to TortoiseSVN’s setup wizard. Click ‘Next.’
4) Accept the terms in the License Agreement, and select ‘Next.’
5) In the subsequent dialog, select where TortoiseSVN should be installed and which features you want to install. Once you are happy with the configuration, click ‘Next.’
6) Click the ‘Install’ button. Once TortoiseSVN has finished installing, click the ‘Finish’ button to complete the setup process.
7) TortoiseSVN is implemented as a Windows shell extension. To perform a checkout in TortoiseSVN, right-click on the location where you wish to create a working copy, and select ‘SVN Checkout…’
8) Enter the URL of your repository and select whether you want to checkout the HEAD revision, or a particular revision number. Click ‘Ok’ to perform the checkout.
You have now successfully performed your first checkout!
Remember that TortoiseSVN can be downloaded for free from http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download